(a) A person commits an offense if he:
(1) possesses a child younger than 18 years of age or has the custody, conservatorship, or guardianship of a child younger than 18 years of age, whether or not he has actual possession of the child, and he offers to accept, agrees to accept, or accepts a thing of value for the delivery of the child to another or for the possession of the child by another for purposes of adoption; or
(2) offers to give, agrees to give, or gives a thing of value to another for acquiring or maintaining the possession of a child for the purpose of adoption.
(b) It is an exception to the application of this section that the thing of value is:
(1) a fee or reimbursement paid to a child-placing agency as authorized by law;
(2) a fee paid to an attorney, social worker, mental health professional, or physician for services rendered in the usual course of legal or medical practice or in providing adoption counseling;
(3) a reimbursement of legal or medical expenses incurred by a person for the benefit of the child; or
(4) a necessary pregnancy-related expense paid by a child-placing agency for the benefit of the child’s parent during the pregnancy or after the birth of the child as permitted by the minimum standards for child-placing agencies and Department of Protective and Regulatory Services rules.
(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree, except that the offense is a felony of the second degree if the actor commits the offense with intent to commit an offense under Section 20A.02, 43.02, 43.05, or 43.25.
Added by Acts 1977, 65th Leg., p. 81, ch. 38, Sec. 1, eff. March 30, 1977. Amended by Acts 1981, 67th Leg., p. 2211, ch. 514, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1981. Renumbered from Sec. 25.06 by Acts 1987, 70th Leg., ch. 167, Sec. 5.01(a)(44). Renumbered from Sec. 25.11 and amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994. Amended by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 134, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2001; Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1005, Sec. 3, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.
Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 515 (H.B. 2014), Sec. 4.01, eff. September 1, 2011.