(a) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly:
(1) causes another by force, threat, coercion, or fraud to commit prostitution; or
(2) causes by any means a child younger than 18 years to commit prostitution, regardless of whether the actor knows the age of the child at the time of the offense.
(b) An offense under this section is a felony of the first degree.
(c) If conduct constituting an offense under this section also constitutes an offense under another section of this code, the actor may be prosecuted under either section or under both sections.
(d) For purposes of this section, “coercion” as defined by Section 1.07 includes:
(1) destroying, concealing, confiscating, or withholding from a person, or threatening to destroy, conceal, confiscate, or withhold from a person, the person’s actual or purported:
(A) government records; or
(B) identifying information or documents;
(2) causing a person, without the person’s consent, to become intoxicated, as defined by Section 49.01, to a degree that impairs the person’s ability to appraise the nature of the person’s conduct that constitutes prostitution or to resist engaging in that conduct; or
(3) withholding alcohol or a controlled substance to a degree that impairs the ability of a person with a chemical dependency, as defined by Section 462.001, Health and Safety Code, to appraise the nature of the person’s conduct that constitutes prostitution or to resist engaging in that conduct.
Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.
Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1002 (H.B. 4009), Sec. 9, eff. September 1, 2009.
Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1 (S.B. 24), Sec. 1.03, eff. September 1, 2011.
Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1273 (S.B. 825), Sec. 2, eff. September 1, 2015.
Acts 2017, 85th Leg., R.S., Ch. 685 (H.B. 29), Sec. 40, eff. September 1, 2017.
Acts 2017, 85th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1038 (H.B. 1808), Sec. 11, eff. September 1, 2017.
Acts 2019, 86th Leg., R.S., Ch. 273 (S.B. 1802), Sec. 5, eff. September 1, 2019.
Sec. 43.01 | Sec. 43.02 | Sec. 43.03 | Sec. 43.031 | Sec. 43.04 | Sec. 43.041 | Sec. 43.06 | Sec. 43.21 | Sec. 43.22 | Sec. 43.23 | Sec. 43.24 | Sec. 43.25 | Sec. 43.251 | Sec. 43.26 | Sec. 43.261 | Sec. 43.262 | Sec. 43.27